Wednesday 9 July 2014

Pub 25, Day 8 – Kelham Island Tavern

By Andy

For me this sums up what Pubquest is all about. You know how sometimes you pop out for a quiet pint and before you know it you're playing a professional snooker player? Well read on...

***

Avid readers will no doubt remember that my uni friends were in town for the week. After an unforgettable night the previous evening at The Fat Cat/Players, we decided to stick with the tried and tested formula and begin in Kelham Island, before heading to town. With The Fat Cat already ticked off, it was over to its long-time competitor, The Kelham Island Tavern.

A duopoly to rival Celtic and Rangers, these two clean up at the CAMRA Sheffield Pub of The Year Awards each year, with the Kelham Island Tavern currently establishing somewhat of a dynasty, winning back-to-back titles in 2014 and 2015. It has also earned national recognition, being crowned CAMRA National Pub of the Year in 2008 and 2009.

A bit roomier than The Fat Cat, the Kelham Island Tavern has the same commendable commitment to great ales and pork pies. Although the decor would give the Changing Rooms team nightmares (its yellow and red interior fails to match its homely feel), the beer garden is the stuff of Ground Force's dreams – a rainforest of plants compete for your senses, making even the darkest of beers dance with a floral flavour. 

Being easily convinced folk, we all opted for a pint of Magic Sponge – an eye-catching pint which chose to forego the typical cardboard logo in favour of sticking a sponge on the pump.


A wise man once suggested to not judge a book by its cover. Presumably, if you bumped into this fella down your local, he would also extol the virtues of not picking a beer by its logo. Happily, on this occasion he would have been wrong – Magic Sponge was a light, golden pint with a subtle toffee taste.

It was at this point that Conor – an aforementioned uni friend – got a phone call: did he want to come to The Common Room for a few frames of pool? With our Magic Sponges absorbed, and with town on the night's agenda, we jumped at the chance.

I should probably give you a bit of background information about Conor: he's a semi-professional snooker player. While the rest of my friends were spending the week on my floor, he was crashing at the Star Snooker Academy, whiling away his days on the baize. 

A few months after our fake trip to Bulgaria, Conor made the journey for real to play in the 2014 European Tour in Sofia, triumphing 4-3 in the second round before bowing out in round three (in a tournament eventually won by Shaun Murphy). So when Conor gets a phone call inviting him for a few frames of pool, you go. You never know who's gonna be there.

We were met at The Common Room by three of India's finest snooker players: Rahul Sachdev (ranked 20th in India), Himanshu Jain (ranked 17th in India), and Aditya Mehta (ranked number 1 in India and 49th in the world). Now I wasn't too bad at snooker either (ranked 59th in Howden & District Division Two), and as such, I deemed myself ready to compete against the world's best.

Unfortunately, any dreams I had of taking on Aditya Mehta were foiled by the Argentina vs Netherlands World Cup semi-final on the big screen, which he was immersed in. 

Luckily, Himanshu Jain was less of a football fan, and agreed to a frame of pool. Unbeknown to him, after our visit to the Kelham Island Tavern, I was ideally intoxicated – drunk enough to believe I could win, yet sober enough to still see straight.

Despite trailing initially, I sank the last six balls in one break, rolling in the black to receive a pat on the back from a disbelieving Rob. The man whose recognition I truly craved though was still facing the other way, his eyes locked on Lionel Messi. With no desire to waste his time pummelling no-hopers, he again declined my challenge.

Next up I played Rahul Sachdev – a player with his own page on the World Snooker website. Once again I fell behind, only to emerge victorious. This time though, my own ability had nothing to do with it – it all came down to luck. While Rahul was in the middle of a break, he accidentally cannoned into the black, potting it ahead of schedule.

Etiquette dictated that my celebrations remained muted. Rob, apparently unaware of such procedure, sprinted over and hugged me. A win by default is a win nonetheless. 

This time, Mr Mehta couldn't ignore my challenge. Having beaten both of his practice partners, I had earned the right to take on the 49th best snooker player in the world. 

The parameters were too close to call: he has his own Wikipedia page, I have a profile on the Howden & District League website. His career winnings total £106,233, I once won £8 in a tournament at college. 

After a cagey opening, Aditya left me a half-chance. My common sense urged me to play safe; unfortunately, my imagination was in overdrive. If I potted this, I would be in a commanding position. Would beating Aditya Mehta make me Champion of India?

Me vs Mehta
Predictably, I missed. Even more predictably, Aditya Mehta won. However, he only beat me by two balls, which I was secretly quite proud of. 

And just in case anyone's keeping count, after my exploits against India's finest, and Rob's impressive victory over our Chinese friend Cowboy Keith at Barry's, the Pubquest pool score stands at:

Andy and Rob         3-1         Asia
[Population: 2]                     [Population: ~4,164,252,000]

Not bad. 

Pub: Kelham Island Tavern 
Rating: 8/10
Pint: Magic Sponge

No comments:

Post a Comment