Sunday 30 August 2015

Pub 66, Day 25 – Nursery Tavern

By Andy

With uncharacteristic punctuality, we met our friend Ali outside the Nursery Tavern.

The pub comes equipped with a large front terrace, although the night was far too cold to contemplate remaining outdoors. Besides, the prospect of spending the evening with bouncers, drunkards, and the exhaust fumes of Ecclesall Road did not appeal.

Heading into the bustling warmth of indoors, Ali and Rob went to find a table while I investigated the bar. The pub is larger than it looks from the outside, although it has no problems reaching capacity. A favourite haunt of students, it is not a pub that attempts to appeal to all: rather, it knows its market. Not too long ago, I was part of this market myself, and indeed have spent several nights pre-drinking in the Tav before heading into town. Now though, the louder-than-necessary music and nothing-too-adventurous drinks have turned me elsewhere.

The beer selection was not as good as it should have been for such a trendy part of town, so I ordered two pints of London Pride. I also purchased a glass of wine for Ali, which I served with a pre-prepared apology regarding my lack of wine knowledge – an apology I have been trotting out unaltered since turning eighteen.

The pub had not changed since my last visit: the atmosphere was still rowdy (although not rough); the drinks were still cheap (although not bargains); the employees were still friendly (although understaffed).

Casting my mindset back to that of a younger man, I recalled the features of the Nursery Tavern that I had valued as a student. The late opening hours, and the opportunity to drink shots as readily as pints certainly played a part.

The pub's biggest asset though, no doubt, is the adjacent taxi rank, ready to whisk you away to the city centre at a moment's notice.

Pub: Nursery Tavern (276 Ecclesall Road, S11 8PE)
Rating: 6.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment