Friday 4 September 2015

Pub 69, Day 26 – The Bankers Draft

Guest-blogger Richard returns with his second review!

By Richard

Many months ago I joined Pubquest as they toured some of the worst pubs in Sheffield. Keeping in line with Pubquest's 'no rush' policy for reviews I took my time to write the blog, although my inertia soon began to resemble that of George R R Martin.

After receiving what felt like hundreds of texts and emails prompting me to speed up (hypocrites!), I decided that it was finally time to write this thing. My original post for the Tap & Barrel is still the most-viewed page on Pubquest so I realise the standards I have set – here is the long-awaited sequel...

REPUTATION

I had never visited The Bankers Draft prior to this venture (and I have never returned) but I was aware of its rough reputation. Having walked past the pub every day on my way to work I knew what to expect – no matter what time my shift started there were always scruffy patrons outside with a pint and a cigarette.

We entered what is a huge establishment, much larger than I realised. Nervously glancing over my shoulder to check for flying bottles smashing into my head, I was pleasantly surprised to see nothing but smiling locals. In fact, it was like most Wetherspoon pubs in decor, with a chilled vibe reminding me of my youth: long evenings spent at the Wetherpoons in my hometown (The Liquorice Gardens in Worksop) for cheap booze before a night out.

There were no unwelcoming stares or confrontations, although I did get the impression that the majority of customers had been there since opening time. The barman greeted us and took our order: I went for my usual (the cheapest lager), while the guys chose Red MacGregor from the impressive selection.

MAKING FRIENDS

We sat on a raised table with high chairs, making the place feel like an old saloon. A group of women at the next table were getting rowdy but we didn’t pay them much attention... until one of them sat next to us. Our initial conversation went something like this:

Girl: “You look like John Travolta.”
Me: “Erm... thank you?”
Girl: “You think you look like John Travolta.”
Me: “Haha… yeah… from Saturday Night Fever?”
Girl: “I hate people like you, turning up thinking you're fucking John Travolta.”

She was quite intimidating and I was still confused why she had joined us and was picking on me specifically. (I noticed Andy & Rob did not step in to help me out, from which I can only conclude they are cowards. Moreover, I suddenly realised why they had invited me to The Bankers Draft, rather than the Dore Moor Inn.)

The woman was clearly slaughtered: every time she spoke in my direction it felt like I had inhaled a unit of alcohol. She was very threatening and I'm not ashamed to admit a little scary. She announced she was from Hull and had nowhere to stay – obviously she had seen me as a potential target, but lacked the charm to conduct even a basic conversation. Once our initial fear had worn off, we even managed to get a group photo.

She remained with us making aggressive chit-chat for 15 minutes or so until the other girls came over (they were also drunk but less paralytic). We had assumed she was part of their group but it turned out she was a classic Wetherspoons drunkard, touring every table.

Once she went to the toilet we quickly downed our drinks, ran out of the pub and moved on to our next adventure.

Terrifying women aside, I actually thought The Bankers Draft was a decent pub. It boasts all the Wetherspoons features we know and love, and its sheer size means you can always find a quiet corner to enjoy a pint (although on this occasion we failed spectacularly!). I know my opinion doesn’t count for much so I'll leave it with the experts to score, but I would award 5/10 for the pub and 4/10 for the experience.

On a personal note I'd like to thank Pubquest for inviting me along and being a part of their journey. It was great fun looking at pubs in a different way and I enjoyed writing the reviews.

Pub: The Bankers Draft (1-3 Market Place, S1 2GH)
Rating: 5/10
Brewery: The Orkney Brewery (Quoyloo, Orkney)

NEXT UP: Marmite pubs, at The Dove & Rainbow...

No comments:

Post a Comment