Saturday 7 November 2015

Pub 81, Day 30 – Admiral Rodney

It's time to rejoice, as once again we are treating you our loyal readers to another guest blog. This time, following in the footsteps of Rob's youngest sister Reanna, his other sister Rebecca (fashionably rebranded as Beki) masterfully takes over the reins. 

***

By Beki

It’s said there are only two things you can be certain of in life: death and taxes. However, if you are a friend or family member of Rob and Andy, then you can add a third: that one day you will be roped into writing a Pubquest blog. It was, of course, a momentous occasion to finally be asked along and, with the knowledge that my post might be seen by literally TENS of people, I set off on my first 'quest'.

Knowing that this was Sheffield Pubquest, I assumed we might be hopping on a tram to a trendy pub in the city centre that I’d never heard of, or discovering a diamond in the rough, perhaps in a dicier area like Firth Park or Lowedges. Instead, we travelled for at least half an hour into the middle of nowhere. We eventually reached Loxley, a village that only actually became part of Sheffield in 1974. Perhaps I’m being a little cynical readers, but it felt rather like we were scraping the barrel.

Although we did visit a couple of really quite nice establishments on this trip, I will today be reviewing the Admiral Rodney. However, before we get into my review I’d like to explain a little of my background to you all. For the past two years I've worked in a very, very well known chain pub and I believe wholeheartedly that most (if not all) chain pubs are shit. Some chain pubs are like those owned by my old employer and have garish, lager-stained carpets and men in high-visibility jackets called Dave who drink too much John Smith's. Other chains, meanwhile, have very nice carpets and potpourri on the tables, and are frequented by middle-class families who delight in shouting at people on minimum wage. Inevitably though, they are all varying incarnations of the same lifeless, soulless entity.

The view from the pub (photo from
Google Maps, contributor Nigel Raynor)
The Admiral Rodney is a Vintage Inns pub. These are very much at the potpourri, middle-class end of the chain pub spectrum something that becomes apparent as soon as you pull into the car park, with its perfectly manicured shrubbery and charming little patio. In fact, the terrace offers excellent views of the rural scenery and this outdoor seating area is actually my favourite part of the pub: a few simple picnic benches with ash trays, parasols and a lovely view it's perfect.

The inside is another matter: the entire place is covered in wooden beams, old fireplaces and other knick-knacks in a desperate attempt to give it a cosy country pub vibe, although it mostly comes across as very calculated and fake. The best country pubs just throw bits of tat everywhere, such as random horseshoes on the ceiling and old pump clips stuck above the bar; there’s no rhyme or reason to anything, but it's cosy. The Admiral Rodney was too clean, the lager was poured from shiny chrome taps, the bar was arranged neatly with rows of wines and spirits on glass shelves and the toilets smelled lovely: the soul and character had essentially been scrubbed away with furniture polish and disinfectant.

The thing that really, really struck me when I walked inside, was that this was not a pub. Not really. I think if the Admiral Rodney could stick up big signs everywhere that said “BUY FOOD OR PISS OFF” they absolutely would have. Unfortunately for them this is generally frowned upon and so they had to make do with filling the entire pub with nothing but dining tables, each adorned with cutlery and menus. The purpose of Pubquest, of course, is not to review the food and so we chose to forgo the culinary delights and turned our attention to their drinks.

For a pub that is literally a five minute drive away from Bradfield, home to one of the best brewers in Sheffield, they had a pretty crap selection, consisting of about three ales, one of which would always be Doom Bar, as Vintage Inns (apparently like many other chain pubs) have some kind of agreement with the brewer. The lagers were nothing exciting either, so I ended up settling for a strawberry and lime Kopparberg. I’m not going to bother reviewing that because, well, its Kopparberg. Rob and Andy had a pint of Black Sheep, which I'm not going to review either. 

The staff were pleasant and the couple of cigarettes I enjoyed on the terrace made it clear to me that this was absolutely the best part of the pub, especially in the dusk with the sounds of the countryside floating around you.

Now, at this point you are probably expecting a rating. However, Rob and Andy are tyrants and so, even if I did give you one, they would rescind it, as they jealously guard their monopoly of the rating system and would decry my attempt as "not official". So, what I will say is that I’m sure this pub is bloody lovely for those looking for a Sunday roast or a nice lunch, but as an actual pub? It’s shit.

***

Yes, I think we broadly agree....

Pub: Admiral Rodney (592 Loxley Rd, S6 6RU)
Rating: 6/10
Brewery: Black Sheep Brewery (Masham, North Yorkshire) 

NEXT UP: Gatecrashing events, at The York...

No comments:

Post a Comment