Wednesday 2 March 2016

Pub 101, Day 37 – The Bessemer

By Rob

A few weeks ago, I was visiting my parents when my mum asked if I'd ever been to The Bessemer.

"Mother," I replied, "you're fully aware that I've been to many pubs throughout this fair city. I've been to places that stand upon the very edge of Sheffield's borders. So, of course I've been to The Bessemer, as it's located in the centre of town. It would be ludicrous to entertain the notion that I've not been there and, frankly, I'm embarrassed that you even thought to ask me."

As my mum sat there, sipping her tea and wishing – once again – that she'd understood the importance of contraception all those years ago, she explained that the reason she'd asked about The Bessemer was that she'd recently been there for a night out with some friends.

When I asked for her opinion of the venue, she launched into a speech about how fantastic the place was and how, along with her peers, she'd had an amazing time there.

I was quite surprised. I hadn't seen her this enthusiastic since the day I moved out.

As she continued to lavish praise upon the venue, I cast my mind back to my (thankfully recent) visit...

***

Situated next to Leopold Square, The Bessemer was a large venue and probably not a pub at all. In fact, both Andy and I were fairly confident that we were heading to a bar, but the small kernels of doubt in our minds – coupled with our own stupid rules – rendered us unable to avoid it.

The journey was a short one from our spot in The Museum (directly across the road). Once there, we headed to the bar and ordered two pints of Lancaster Bomber. A staple from Marston's, this chestnut ale was slightly hoppy and thoroughly enjoyable. 

The Bessemer held a special place in my heart. When I turned 18, it was the first stop on my first ever night out (although back then it was called The Fountain). Andy had been there that night, and here he was again almost seven years later. It occurred to me that I needed some new friends.

The place didn't look too different this time around. It was still relatively well-decorated, looking like a slightly improved Wetherspoons. There was very little of the 'pub vibe' to be found (although the same can often be said about a Wetherspoons).

Looking around, it was clear to see that eighteen-year-olds frequented the place no longer. In fact, the clientele was almost exclusively made up of middle-aged women.

But not just any middle-aged women.

These weren't the gin-drinking, wine-tasting, cocktail-purchasing type of middle-aged women. No, these were the pitcher-swigging, pint-draining, shot-downing type of middle-aged women. Dinner ladies off-duty, getting tanked up on ale before heading to Reflex where they 'ironically' dance on the poles and don pink, sparkling cowboy hats, before ending the night in Chubbys with a large doner kebab.

I saw a Sandra stumble over a Barbra, while a Denise whooped and hollered at a Pauline. Meanwhile, a somewhat unsteady Julie tried to convince her friend Sue that she could, indeed, finish the pint that Dawn had bought for her without being sick and ruining the night for Sharon.

Hoots and howls, screams and giggles. Chanting and swearing, mixed with crying and laughter. The sounds of middle-aged shenanigans filled the air, enveloping me...

***

... As I was brought back to the present, I blinked away the madness and sipped at my tea.

"So yeah," my mum concluded. "I loved it there."

Having now thought about it, I wasn't surprised at all.

Pub: The Bessemer (58 Leopold St, Sheffield S1 2GZ)
Rating: 7/10
Brewery: Marston's Brewery (Wolverhampton)

No comments:

Post a Comment