Thursday 31 August 2017

Pub 144, Day 53 – The Wellington [The Return]

After our previous failure at The Wellington, we returned a few weeks later to have another go. Guest-blogger Katherine picks up the story...

By Katherine

I met Andy through work and I'd heard rumblings about his world-famous Sheffield-famous pub blog. It was intimidating being in the presence of an online quasi-celebrity, so I thought it best to play it cool and didn't ask straight away for the link. After all, I'm not ordinarily an avid beer drinker, so wondered how much enjoyment I could get just from reading a blog about it (how wrong I was!)

Our mutual friend Richard (see The Bankers Draft) had an eventful night with Andy and Rob, so I checked out the rest of the blog for myself. I was surprised by just how much action the guys find themselves in: free food, near death-experiences... and don't even get me started on Barry's! The blog transcended just beer and I really could not wait for my moment of glory... so I casually dropped some hints about how I liked writing, as well as drinking, and waited patiently. And patiently. And patiently.

Finally came the text I had been hoping for:
"If you want to be part of Pubquest history forever, we will be attending The Wellington near you in about 15 minutes. (Note: we reserve the right to make you write about it.)"

Yes! I was so excited, and willing to overlook the fact that Andy had given me just 15 minutes notice. I got ready and rushed to the pub, looking forward to a wild night of beer-related fun and games.

My first impression of The Wellington is probably best summarised by my text to Andy: "Are you inside, as this isn't the type of place I would like to be alone." My initial excitement was starting to wane: had I been invited to review the dud of Kelham Island?! The immediate area around the pub leaves a lot to be desired, but in all honesty, I relaxed once I stepped inside. It was very quiet, there were a few students playing a dice game but there were plenty of seats for the random collection of guests that the guys had collected on their way to the pub. I was served by a friendly barmaid and opted for a pint of Black Rat cider but was slightly disappointed as I walked away and noticed a sign for lemon drizzle ale, which I would have preferred!

We had our drinks, as I regaled a less than amusing anecdote about the disgusting toilet habits of the people who work in my office (I sincerely apologise to anyone sat near us that evening). And then... and then... we left! As far as debut Pubquest visits go, mine was unremarkable but pleasant and I was worried whether I'd manage to get a 10-word review from it (but I'm nothing if not creative!)

The assembled quiz team
But wait! "We're going to a pub quiz, do you want to come?" It seemed that my Pubquest journey had not yet ended...

We headed to The Closed Shop where I offered my severely limited quiz knowledge. Sadly the pub had already been reviewed, so I was not there on official business and therefore couldn't write about it! But I will tell you that it involved an embarrassing quiz performance; a silent auction where I managed to win a crate of beer for just £5.50; and a colleague falling out of a taxi. Exactly the kind of evening I was hoping for when I offered up my services as a guest reviewer!

Pub: The Wellington (1 Henry Street, S3 7EQ)
Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment