Saturday 5 September 2015

Pub 70, Day 26 – The Dove & Rainbow

By Rob

The Dove & Rainbow is a strange pub and, truth be told, I don't know how I feel about it.

I think I love it.

And yet, I think I hate it.

The only thing I'm sure of, is that there's no middle ground between the two. This isn't a pub you can categorise as 'just OK', because it's too unique. You either think it's good, or you don't.

And today, as I write this blog, I'll reveal which side of the fence I finally came down on.

The first thing we noted, as we escaped from The Bankers Draft via the back door, is how out-of-the-way The Dove & Rainbow is. Although in the centre of town, the pub sits in a courtyard that's only accessible via long, darkened alleyways, or by walking through the adjacent Wetherspoons (either option putting you at serious risk of assault and battery).

I thought this was great. It gave the pub an almost exclusive feel as if you needed secret, Sheffield-based knowledge to find it. But then, I also thought it was a bit stupid and, alone on a dark night, some people wouldn't be overly fond of the location.

From the outside, the pub looked smart. With its gold lettering and black facade, it wouldn't have seemed out of place in London, among the other Westminster boozers. But then, it did look a little out of place in the dingy Sheffield courtyard behind Argos.

Once inside, you'd be forgiven for thinking you'd entered a totally different venue. The walls were coated in graffiti (of the artistic, deliberate kind, rather than the 'Janice Loves Cock' variety, which you might see scrawled across the door of a toilet cubicle), and the main seating area had a bare, stripped-back feel to it. I liked how the place looked different from anywhere else nearby, it was certainly distinctive. But then, as I also discovered in the South Sea, the 'grime' look isn't my first choice when it comes to pub decor.

To the right-hand side there was a pool table and, to the left, a stage. The pub, it transpired, was something of a rock venue. This endeared the place to me even further. Live music is great, and I appreciate that it caters to a fairly niche clientele. But then, I'm not a huge fan of heavy rock music – I prefer to chat with my mates in the pub, which is tricky when you're being deafened by the thundering rhythms of AC/DC.

The beer selection was fantastic, with a decent line-up of real ales on offer. We spotted a home brew – the Dove & Rainbow Cask Ale – and so, bound by a rule of our own making, we bought two pints. Once again, I was in two minds: I was pleased that the pub was brewing its own beer. But then, I didn't really enjoy the taste.

As I sat there with Andy and Richard, taking in the sights and sounds of this bizarre, hidden, rock 'n' roll little pub, I finally realised how I felt.

I really like The Dove & Rainbow, but I wouldn't go there.

For me, it was the pub equivalent of red wine: I thought it was nice, and I could see why people enjoyed it. Objectively, I knew it was good.

But then, I'd always choose to order a beer instead.

Pub: The Dove & Rainbow (2 Hartshead Square, S1 2FD)
Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment